The year was 1933 when Edward Montgomery began experimenting with fabric gloves in an attempt to coat them with rubber to extend their wear. Montgomery conducted the first experiments in his garage, where he applied tire tube repair rubber to the palms of ordinary canvas gloves and vulcanized them on a hot plate. This soon led to the more economical process of dipping gloves in latex rubber.
In 1934, Montgomery moved his glove production operation to an old foundry building, with the Edmont Manufacturing Company officially incorporated a year later. Early production equipment included a few machines to sew the glove liners, wood forms for stretching the liners for dipping, a tank for the rubber latex and a handmade curing oven.
As demand for Edmont gloves grew, the company moved to Coshocton, Ohio, in 1951, where it became known for producing coated gloves of superior quality and value. Edmont gloves were used in many industries for thousands of different jobs requiring hand protection. Specialized coatings were developed using natural rubber, synthetic rubber and vinyl plastic.
When Becton, Dickinson and Company, a leading U.S. healthcare corporation, acquired Edmont in 1966, Edmont was recognized as the largest manufacturer of coated gloves. Pacific Dunlop, Ltd. acquired the Edmont Division in 1989, merging it with the Ansell International Industrial division to create Ansell Edmont Industrial.